Thursday, January 15, 2009

Settling in...

This was written earlier this week....
This morning, after cooking breakfast for the boys, I set about to make my first set of tortillas. It is the bread here in Honduras, but very few places sell it, as most people make it at home. Last week Teresa, a national, showed me how to make tortillas and laughed heartily as I tried to flatten the dough with my hands like she did seemingly without effort and so perfectly. Without measuring cups, but with a recipe, I was determined to at least try. The end result? Nothing nearly as uniform and nice looking as Teresa's but at the end of the day, there were none left on the plate and Lukas asked when we could make more.

I have tortillas in a stack on a platter on the stove, and four lines of laundry drying outside, and I catch myself with a broom in my hand sweeping, sweeping, sweeping – the Honduran habits are rubbing off rapidly.

No comments: