Thursday, May 7, 2009

Shock and Awe

Shock – honestly, $30 for a 6 mile cab ride?
Shock - cannot flag down a cab in a flash
Awe – the cab driver has change!

Shock – how hot water can be really truly too hot
Awe – soft, soft, soft towels

Shock – the large cars with only one person in each
Awe – how polite drivers are

Shock – the plethora of choices, how do I make a choice
Awe – even in a regular Target, the plethora of food options

Shock – bullet proof vests guarding the hospital entrance
Awe – modern, western medicine

Shock – cold weather
Awe - cool room to sleep in

Shock – the bareness of nature
Awe – the tiny whispers of green on each and every tree branch

Shock – understand everything that everyone says
Awe – Spanish praise music on the radio and it making me joyful

It truly has been a reverse culture shock to come back to the US. We have been back a week now and I am still amazed, shocked, awed, daily as I go about our life here in Minneapolis. I am amazed by how easy it is to get things done, yet, I miss the warmth of the people in La Ceiba, the smiles, the small talks, and the slower pace. Like in so many other areas of my life, I am living in tension: Honduras versus the US. God is working on me, showing me the gray areas of life, that tension is good, it is molding me; I am learning to enjoy the journey.

No comments: